Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Presto Pesto

With my birthday money this year I bought myself one amazing gift. This Cuisinart® PowerPrep Plus®14-cup Food Processor:

I never thought I could love a kitchen electric so much. I mean, it literally does everything and anything! I use it almost everyday to make guacamole, shred vegetables or cheese, make salad dressings and sauces, and anything else you can think of. It definitely gets a good work out in my kitchen. Sometimes I even try to find reasons to use it... like... hmmm what can I make with it today? The other day was one of those days. I was walking up and down my garden and came across this basil bush and then it hit me- PESTO!

 So I trimmed most of the leaves off of the basil bush and took them inside. I soaked them and then rinsed them
I didn't even bother chopping them. That is the beauty of a food processor, it simplifies everything for me and who doesn't love simple? I just threw the basil leaves into my Cuisinart with some pine nuts and garlic cloves.

 Gave it a couple of pulses


Then drizzled in some organic extra virgin olive oil and let it do its thing.

 I had already planned out dinner for that night so I decided I would freeze the pesto. So glad somebody thought of inventing a freezer because that seems to be where my surplus vegetables are ending up. When freezing your pesto you want to wait to add the parmesan cheese until you are going to use it. (Frozen cheese just doesn't taste the same). Add a little drizzle of EVOO on top and VOILA! Oh, and make sure you have a freezer safe/air tight container.


All those basil leaves and this is all you come up with, but a little bit goes a long way. 

I can't wait to get it out and use it on some yummy home made basil pesto chicken paninis with mozzarella cheese and fresh tomatoes.... excuse me while I wipe the drool off of my mouth.

Oh, and I am taking dinner to a cute girl in my neighborhood tomorrow who just had her baby. Any suggestions on what I should take over?

XOXO,

Whitney

Basil Pesto Recipe:
Adapted from this Food Network recipe

2 1/4 cups of packed basil leaves
2-3 Garlic cloves
1/3 C pine nuts
2/3 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
3/4 C Parmesan cheese

Directions
Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add 1/2 cup of the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

If using immediately, add all the remaining oil and pulse until smooth. Transfer the pesto to a large serving bowl and mix in the cheese.

If freezing, transfer to an air-tight container and drizzle remaining oil over the top. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw and stir in cheese.

1 comment:

  1. I really need to get my food processor I have never made pesto I always buy it, but I'll give it a try!

    http://bitstreats.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave a comment we read each and every one!