Tuesday, September 18, 2012

DIY Maxi Dress

Mia's favorite thing to do right now is build towers with lego blocks. When she puts them together she is so proud of herself and starts dancing and singing "I did it, I did it, I did it." Pretty much the cutest thing in the world. Right now I feel like doing the "I did it!" dance. Why? Because I pinned something and I actually made it. How often does that happen? I have been wanting to make a maxi dress and a few months ago I pinned this tutorial to my sewing board. It seemed pretty easy for a newbie seamstress, plus I would be able to re-purpose and old shirt. In the tutorial it has you use elastic thread. My friends, I tried EVERYTHING to get my sewing machine to shir. I read tutorials after tutorials to get it to work without success. So instead I just decided to use a small elastic band for the waist. Here is what I used:

Tutorial from A Small Snippet
Thread
1 1/2 yd fabric for skirt
Old shirt
1/4" elastic for waist
Fabric for a sash (if you wish)

If you aren't able to shir with your machine I would suggest just using an elastic for the waist. I just made a quick casing for the elastic, wasn't hard at all.

And here is how mine turned out:




I was pretty excited with how it turned out. Not bad for my first dress. What do you think?

XO,
Whitney

Linking up with Sugar & Dots and
Lil\'Luna

13 comments:

  1. OMG I love it! I have a sewing machine but I have yet to use it. You will have to give me some tips :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is to DIE for I absolutely love it! I only wish I could do something like this! so cute!

    Kal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whit this is so cute! I love it! Now how about you give me a sewing class!!! I so want to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is fantastic! Maxi dresses are always toooo short for my long legs. I will have to try making my own now. That is a real good idea! Great blog! New follower!

    ♥Deidre
    Love, The Skinnys

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dress is gorgeous!!! I am so in love with it,it looks amazing on you too! I am a new follower, can't wait to read more! Come follow along http://sjdmiller.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello! I want one..exactly like that. don't be made if you see a picture with me in a skirt similar! :) LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm impressed; you did fantastic! I really wish I knew how to sewwww!

    I found you on the blog hop and am following now. Check me out if you would like.

    Tara

    http://tarabelle-adropofink.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks fantastic! You did a great job. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. That came out sooo good! I wish I could sew so I could make one myself!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Sept. Group Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd if this helps but I have a brother machine and u have to remove the bobbin and tighten the screw inside where the bobbin lays to get the machine to do any shirring. Look it up on you tube. The skirt is adorable!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave a comment we read each and every one!