Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Ooey Gooey Oatmeal Carmelitas

I have always liked caramel. But for the last year or so my "like" for caramel has turned into more of a "true love" with caramel. I used to want chocolate anything, now I prefer CARAMEL anything. Caramel icecream, caramel sauce, caramel candies, salted caramel, and the list goes on and on. My Aunt Cathy is famous for her Oatmeal Carmelitas and we have to have them at every family gathering. Recently I went to one of my best friends showers and was asked to bring a dessert and I was craving my Aunt's carmelitas and just had to satisfy my caramel craving. They are so easy to make and seriously delicious. Plus, if you are a chocolate lover, they have chocolate in them too... don't worry!

Here is what you need:

 Brown Sugar, Chocolate Chips, Baking Soda, Flour, Butter, Quick Oats, Salt, Jar of Mrs. Richardsons Butterscotch Caramel

Melt your butter. Don't be intimidated by the butter... just remember, butter makes everything taste better.
 Then, Mix flour, oats, b.sugar, butter (melted), soda, and salt together.
 Stir in the butter and it will look something like this...
 Spread half of the mixture on the bottom of a greased 9X13 pan.  Bake the crust in the oven for approximately 10 minutes.
 Warm the caramel in the microwave and add flour to the caramel and stir until well combined.
 Pour the bag of chocolate chips on top the baked crust. Then pour caramel on top of the chocolate chips.
 Sprinkle the remainder of the oats mixture and bake in the oven for another 25 minutes.
 Let them cool completely and then chill in the fridge for a few hours. Trust me, it will be
 a lot easier to cut them up into bite size squares. 
You really won't be able to have just one.

I absolutely love these but wonder how they might taste if I used my homemade caramel sauce in them?? If I try it I will let you know the verdict.

XOXO,
Whitney






Aunt Cathy's Oatmeal Carmelitas

Ingredients:
Flour – 2 cups
Quick Oats – 2 cups
Brown Sugar – 1 ½ cups
Butter – 1 ½ cups
Soda - 1 teas
Salt – ¾ teas
1 jar Mrs. Richardson’s Butterscotch Carmel (mix in ¾ c. of flour)
1 bag milk chocolate chips

Mix flour, oats, b.sugar, butter (melted), soda, and salt together.

Spread ½ of the mix in a 9/13 baking pan and bake for 10 minutes at 325.

Heat carmel to soften and then stir in ¾ cup of flour.  This makes the carmel so it is not sticky.

When you take the crust out of the oven sprinkle the bag of chocolate chips over it and then pour the carmel mix over the chocolate chips.  You can spread it a little to make sure the whole thing gets covered.

Sprinkle the rest of the oat and brown sugar mix over the top and bake it for another 25 minutes at 325.

Chill for about 2 hours before serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave a comment we read each and every one!