Thursday, October 27, 2011

Halloween - ish No Bake Cookies

I think I started making no bake cookies when I was a toddler. Seriously, they are that easy- hence the "No Bake". These cookies made almost a weekly appearance on Family Night. It is a fun, quick and super easy treat and you almost always have everything you need for them in your pantry. For some reason when I was  in elementary and junior high and I would get together with my friends we liked to make things. Sometimes that would include nasty potions (don't ask), brownies and yes - these no bake cookies. I was craving them and so I decided to try and make them look a little more holiday friendly - Black & Orange.

Quick Oats, Peanut Butter, Sugar, Milk, Butter, Vanilla, Cocoa Powder and Orange Food Coloring if you are feeling a little festive

 Have I ever told you how I have a secret love for DARK chocolate? Well, it isn't really a secret because I proclaim my love for it to anyone whenever the subject of chocolate comes up. I love the slight bitterness and 'depth' (as my hubby would say) that it has. Well, a few months ago I was making dark chocolate cupcakes and found this.... and now of course I prefer it over regular cocoa powder.
 First, color your oats.
 Look how pretty... kind of reminds me of the fall leaves that need to be raked outside.
 Add your peanut butter to the oats. No need to stir it in just yet. If you are like me you might secretly add an extra spoonful of peanut butter when no one is looking.
 Put your butter in a saucepan and begin melting.
 Add everything else and cook on medium heat. Bring to a boil and let it boil for only 1 minute.
 After it has boiled pour it onto your oats, add your vanilla and HURRY- get to stirring!! You don't want it to harden on ya.
 Then, scoop tablespoon size portions onto your tinfoil/parchment paper (Whatever you have)
 Makes about 15 little cookies. Let them cool down completely and set up.
 I was pleasantly surprised that you can actually see the orange even when they are covered in chocoloate sauce.
 If you get a wild hair you might even feel like decorating them with some melted chocolate and trying to make them look like a spider.
 

THEN.... gobble them up before everyone else does. These bad boys go fast!

Here is the recipe:

1 1/2 C Oats
1/4 C Peanut Butter
1 C Sugar
1 1/2 T Cocoa Powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 C butter
1/4 C milk

Combine oats and peanut butter. ( If you are going to color your oats do this before adding the PB)

In a saucepan over medium heat begin to melt your butter. Add Sugar, cocoa powder, milk and whisk together. Bring to a boil and only let the mixture boil for one minute. Remove from heat and immediately pour onto oats. Add vanilla and STIR it all together. Drop onto parchment paper or tinfoil and cool completely. This will allow cookies to set up. ENJOY.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave a comment we read each and every one!