Saturday, July 14, 2012

Tres Leches Cupcake

My sister is in town and we have been running around like crazy having a good time while she is here. The other night she came over to my house for dinner. I was craving mexican food so I decided to make Cafe Rio style chicken burritos. I love making this, especially when people come over because EVERYONE loves it, and it's super easy since I get to throw the chicken in the crockpot. As I was preparing dinner my baby girl was napping and I had a little extra time. Every now and then when the house is completely clean, dinner is cooking, and I have some free time I like to bake. Since I was making mexican food for dinner I thought it would be fun to stick to that theme and make Tres Leches cupcakes. I have never made these ones before and I always love trying something new. I used my handy dandy Martha Stewart Cupcake book to lead me in the right direction. In the recipe she tells you to use tinfoil liners, well I didn't have any of those so I was a little nervous my paper lines would get soggy. I decided to double line them and it actually turned out just fine. The liners held up great and they weren't soggy of tearing apart. My nephews liked them so I guess that means they were good! You know something is good when it passes the taste test from a child.



Here is the recipe:

Tres Leches Cupcake
Recipe Courtesy of Martha Stewart
makes about 20 cupcakes (I halved the recipe and it made 9)

Ingredients
6 large eggs, separated, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
Whipped Cream
Ground cinnamon, for dusting

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper-lines foil liners. With an electric mixer on medium speed, whisk together egg whites, baking soda, and salt until soft peaks form. Reduce speed to low. Add yolks and sugar, whisk until completely combined. Fold in melted butter with a flexible spatula. Add flour in four batches, folding until just combined after each.
2. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each halfway. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until light golden brown, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Immediately poke holes in the tops of cupcakes with a skewer.
3. Whisk together evaporated milk, condensed milk, and heavy cream. With cupcakes still in tins, brush milk mixture over cupcakes, repeating until all liquid has been used. Allow cupcakes to absorb mixture, at least 30 minutes (or up to 1 day in the refrigerator, wrapped tightly in plastic once completely cookl bring to room temperature before serving).
4. To finish, dollop whipped cream generously onto cupcakes, and dust with ground cinnamon. Serve immediately.
XOXO,
Whitney

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave a comment we read each and every one!