Sunday, May 27, 2012

Homemade Red Velvet Cake Icecream

Ever since my hubby gave me my Cuisinart Icecream & Sorbet maker I have not purchased any store bought icecream. I now make all my own icecream because let's face it, once you go homemade you just can't go back to store bought. It's not the same, at all. My hubby is now spoiled with homemade icecream. He sure knows how to give gifts well, it was not only something I love but it also benefits him in a yummy way.
Have you seen the commercials for the new Blue Bunny "Duff" inspired Red Velvet Cake icecream?
When I saw this commercial I was literally salivating. Red Velvet icecream with cream cheese icecream swirls? I have never heard of such a thing but it sounded amazing and I wanted to try and make my own. I found a cake batter recipe and just substituted yellow cake mix with Red Velvet Cake mix. Then for the cream cheese icecream I found a decadent recipe. I decided not to swirl them together in fear that they might just get muddled up. So I left the two icecreams separate but then serve them side by side. I can't believe how much it tastes like I'm eating Red Velvet Cake with Cream cheese icing...only it's icecream, not cake! Which makes it that much better!!





Hope you are all enjoying your Memorial Day weekend!

XOXO,
Whitney

Here are the recipes!

Red Velvet Icecream
Adapted from Cake Batter Icecream recipe from Kitchy Kitchen

1/2 cup Red Velvet Cake mix
3/4 cup sugar

Pinch of salt
3 egg yolks

2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups milk

Over medium heat, bring 1 cup of heavy cream, sugar, salt, and cake mix to a simmer. Separately, beat the egg yolks lightly in a medium sized bowl. Add a 1/4 cup of the simmered cream mixture to the egg yolks and mix. This is to temper the eggs and prevent them from curdling when added to the whole mixture. Add a bit more and mix, then add the entire egg mixture to the simmered cream. Stir with a whisk until the mixture forms a thin custard, about 5 to 10 minutes (or it reaches about 175 on a thermometer). Take off heat and add the remaining milk and heavy cream. Stir, then chill in the fridge.

Once the mixture is completely chilled, add the mixture to your ice cream machine and chill accordingly.

Cream Cheese Icecream
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup heavy cream

Blend cream cheese, milk, lemon juice, sugar, and salt in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, then stir in cream. Freeze cream cheese mixture in ice cream maker. Transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden, at least 2 hours. Let ice cream soften 5 minutes before serving


0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave a comment we read each and every one!