Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Dark Chocolate Banana Icecream

So this morning on my jog I was listening to the radio and they were talking about weird and gross ingredients found in food products. Then they started talking about how some of these gross ingredients are found in things such as icecream. {Gasp} How can they put such things in our food? All the more reason to go ahead and make your own icecream all from scratch...that way you can avoid eating things like beaver byproduct and sawdust. YUCK. If that isn't a reason to make your own homemade icecream this recipe just might be! I had a few leftover bananas that were getting pretty ripe. I wasn't in the mood to bake up any banana bread so I decided to experiment and make some dark chocolate banana icecream. Delish & decadent. Such a yummy combination. When I was pregnant I used to eat a banana with chocolate sauce for dessert. Semi-healthy, right?

Yum. Also, when I make my icecreams I use a mixture of whole and skim milk. This makes it lighter in calories but you still get the richness of the whole milk.  I love icecream anytime but it's even better when it is almost 100 degrees outside!

Here is the recipe!

Dark Chocolate Banana Icecream

1 C unsweetened dark cocoa powder
2/3 C sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
1 C mashed ripe bananas (approx 2 medium bananas)
1 C skim milk
1 C whole milk
1 3/4 C heavy cream
1 T pure vanilla extract

Combine cocoa, sugars, and milks together in a bowl. Using a hand mixer, mix together on low/medium speed for about 2 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and vanilla. Pour into icecream machine and follow machine instructions for freezing.

XOXO,
Whitney

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave a comment we read each and every one!