Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Almond Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Buttercream

So I do have an excuse for not posting over the weekend. A pretty darn good excuse if you ask me! I was making 250 of these for my Brother in law's open house:

 Yes...250! And on top of that I also made my Neufchatel fruit salad...enough for 200 people. (I will post that recipe next)

Anyway, I found this cupcake recipe for Almond Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Buttercream a year or so ago on Gimme some Oven and it was love at first bite. My favorite cupcake by far! I have made it so many times since then that I have become somewhat of an expert at baking it. The last few times I have made it I decided to make a little extra caramel sauce and drizzle it over the frosting and let me tell you... the drizzled caramel sauce totally makes it EVEN better. The original recipe is for making regular size cupcakes but I love mini cupcakes so much better. They are more appealing and easier to eat, plus you don't feel too guilty about having more than one. I always get so many compliments on this cupcake so why not share my favorite cupcake with everyone else?


I heart Salted Caramel! I have also made these cupcakes with an almond buttercream and these are so delicious too!!

My Almond Buttercream recipe

2 1/2 C powdered sugar
1 stick butter
1 T almond extract
1  tsp vanilla
3 T milk

Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar, extracts and milk and beat with an electric mixer until frosting consistency has been reached. Enjoy!


XOXO,
Whitney

Here is the recipe for cupcakes:

Vanilla Almond Cupcakes w/ Salted Caramel Buttercream Recipe
(Adapted from gimme some oven)
Ingredients:
Cupcake Ingredients:
  • 1 (18.25 oz.) white cake mix
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
  • 1 tsp. almond extract
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 4 eggs
Frosting Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 6 Tbsp. water
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 3 tsp. vanilla
  • 3 sticks salted butter, softened
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
Method:
To Make Cupcakes:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line  muffin tin with paper liners.
Add the cake mix, buttermilk, oil, almond extract and vanilla to a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Add eggs one at a time, until the batter is well-mixed. Increase speed to high and beat until thick and fluffy, 2 minutes longer.
Pour or scoop the batter into the paper liners until they are 2/3 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cupcakes cool on a wire rack. If baking mini cupcakes bake for approx 9-10 minutes.
To Make Frosting (pics above and below):
Briefly stir together granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Continue cooking, without stirring, until mixture turns dark amber in color, about 6 to 7 minutes.
Remove from heat and slowly add in cream and vanilla (just start with a tablespoon or two), stirring with a wooden spoon until completely smooth. (Be careful, as the mixture will definitely bubble up and possibly splatter a bit as you add in the cream.) Set aside until cool to the touch, about 25 minutes. Reserve 1/3 of caramel sauce for drizzling.
Beat the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium-high speed until light in color and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low, add powdered sugar, and mix until completely incorporated. Turn off the mixer, and then add 2/3 of caramel. Beat frosting on low to combine, and then increase to medium-high and beat until airy and thoroughly mixed, about 2 minutes. Refrigerate if not using immediately (or to harden the frosting a bit).
Frost cupcakes and drizzle caramel sauce over each cupcake as desired.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave a comment we read each and every one!