Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce over Cheese Ravioli

The other day I was shopping at Costco. The thing about shopping at Costco is that when I go there I usually make a day out of it. I like to walk around and see what new promotional items they have and snack on the samples. I think they plan on their customers spending a lot of time and money at Costco so the samples are more of a "Thank you, please stay longer now that you aren't hungry". It is almost impossible to go to Costco and just come out of the store with only the items on your shopping list. I somehow end up buying more than what I came for (especially if the Mr. comes along). While I was parading up and down the aisles I came acrossed the pasta and "sauce aisle" and saw some Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce. I picked it up, read the ingredients... it sounded amazing, but then again I love Butternut Squash if you didn't know already. I was tempted to buy it and it almost went in my cart but then I placed it back on the shelf (or pallet...whatever you want to call it.) The thing is... I have this thing about making my own pasta sauce. I never buy store bought pasta sauce. It tastes so much better when you make it yourself. So instead I grabbed a bag of the Kirklad Four Cheese Ravioli:

Then, I headed over to Smith's and bought some produce, including butternut squash. My plan was to create my own version of Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce. I did the other night. Sometimes I like flying by the seat of my pants and making stuff up as I go. Sometimes I am successful...other times...not so much. It just so happens that this was one of the times that was a success. And I paired the sauce with the ravioli, which was perfect because the sauce needed a little love and the ravioli literally takes like a minute to cook so they balanced eachother out. I would say dinner was a hit.



If you love Butternut Squash as much as I do then you will love this too. 

XOXO,
Whitney


Recipe:

Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce

Ingredients:
1 Butternut Squash
1 can of tomato paste
1 C chicken stock
2 C half & half
1 T dried thyme
2 T butter
Salt & Pepper to taste
EVOO
1/3 C onion; chopped
3 garlic cloves; chopped
1 C parmesan cheese; finely grated

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Peel squash and cut it lengthwise. Remove seeds and cut into chunks. Place squash on a baking pan, sprinkle with salt, pepper, a little bit of thyme and butter. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until soft.

Remove squash from the oven and puree in a food processor until smooth. Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, heat EVOO. Saute onions for 2 minutes and then add garlic. Saute for 1 minute. Add to butternut squash in the food processor and blend until smooth. Add squash mixture back into your saucepan. Over medium heat add chicken stock and tomato paste, stir until well combined. Bring to a boil. Add cheese, half & half and seasonings. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 3-5 minutes. Add butter. Turn the heat to low. Test taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Also, depending on how large your squash is you may need to add more liquid.

Top over Ravioli or your favorite pasta. Sprinkle with some more parmesan cheese if desired and enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave a comment we read each and every one!