Saturday, November 5, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

It's November. Can you believe it? This time of year goes by so quickly because of the Holidays. It will be Thanksgiving before I even have time to blink. Usually I dislike the winter months but I am kind of looking forward to the snow and the holiday season. Yes, it snowed last night here at my house and I am totally fine with it. Am I crazy? Ok, maybe just a little. But November brings me one of my very FAVORITE things.. Squash. Yep... squash! When I was growing up my dad would cook up a different kind of squash for Sunday dinner and this is when my love for squash began. My favorite squash? Butternut! Cook it with butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and a hint of brown sugar and you pretty much have heaven right there. But there is something even better... Butternut Squash soup. My dad usually makes it for Thanksgiving (it is one of the first courses on his elaborate menu) and it is literally to die for. I am not a fan of leftovers but I would re-heat this soup every day if I could.  This year I insisted on growing Butternut Squash in my garden for the sole factor of making it into this soup. To my delight I had a few squash just waiting to be picked as soon as the weather was turning cold. It really is pretty simple to make too...



Butternut Squash in all its glory. Get to peeling those squash!
 Cut off the bulb end
 Hollow out the bulb end and set aside... these will become your soup bowls.
 Dice the peeled squash and put into a large pot with stock and seasonings. Cook on medium heat for about 25 minutes or until the squash is soft and looks something like this...
 Cool it down just a little and throw it into your food processor for a quick puree.
 Heat back up in your pot. Whisk in your cream and cold butter. Adjust seasonigs as needed. Once it is warmed, put on low heat.
 Meanwhile, boil 10 C of water and place squash bowls into boiling water for approximately 3-4 minutes. Remove from water.
 Immediately pour soup into squash bowl, top with whipped cream or sour cream and serve.

November is just not November without a bowl of this soup. Seriously delicious folks! I served this with some  Fabulous French Bread. Definitely a soulful meal to warm you up on those chilly nights!

ENJOY!!

XOXO,

Whitney


Butternut Squash Soup in a squash bowl
Adapted recipe from CEC Russ Barker
  • 2 each butternut squash (approx 4" in diameter at bulb end) (if you want more than 2 squash bowls use more squash )
  • 4 1/2 C chicken broth
  • 1 T diced yellow onion
  • 2 T ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Pinch of Brown Sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 4 T cold butter
  • 2 C Half & Half (May substitute with milk or heavy cream)
  • 10 cups boiling water
  • Peel squash with a potato peeler, cut off stem end. Remove all seeds, hollow out buld end and reserve. Dice remaining squash, place in stock pot with seasonings and broth and cook until squash is soft (approx 25 minutes). Saute onion until tender, then add. Chill slightly just enough to puree in food processor, then heat until hot. Whisk in cream. Add cold butter.
  • Take squash bowls and place in boiling water for 3-4 minutes just until heated. Remove from water and drain. Place soup inside, garnish with dollop of whipped cream and a fresh cilantro leaf. Serve immediately.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave a comment we read each and every one!