Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Creamy Avocado "Pesto" Penne

The other day I had purchased some avocados at the grocery store and when they are ripe you want to use them ASAP. Unless you like brown avocadoes which I do not! So the other night I had this brilliant dinner idea. Since Mia has been a pretty picky eater lately I thought I would combine three of her favorite foods: Avocados, Pasta, Cheese. Brilliant right? I thought so. So I made an "avocado pesto" by throwing in some ingredients in my food processor. After cooking the pasta to "al dente" I slathered it in the avocado pesto and sprinkled it with parmesan cheese. I of course taste tested it and it was DELISH- so creamy and tasted so much like pesto but even better. I was thrilled with the results.



I set it on Mia's tray and she refused to eat it. Hmm...guess that brilliant idea didn't turn out quite how I planned. Oh well, it was still delicious. The green color of the pasta must have thrown her off...better luck next time.

Here is my recipe:
1/2 lb penne pasta - cooked al dente
2 medium ripe avocados
1/4 c parmesan cheese + cheese for garnish
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp dried basil
salt & pepper to taste
{I thought it would also be delicious topped with fresh cherry tomatoes or maybe even sun-dried tomatoes}



In a food processor combine garlic cloves, salt, pepper, avocadoes & cheese. Blend until creamy- about 30 seconds to 1 min. While food processor is still going slowly drizzle in olive oil, blend for 30 seconds. When pasta is done cooking, drain the pasta but do not rinse it. Combine avocado pesto & pasta until all pasta is coated with sauce. Serve and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. ENJOY! :)

Linking up with Sugar and Dots.

XOXO,
Whitney

6 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I'll be trying it for dinner one night this week. Can't wait!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avocado Pesto sounds amazing. I loved making pesto this summer with my fresh herbs...I've got some extra pesto in the freezer that I'd looove to whip up with some avocados! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuuuuum! Penne is one of my staple pastas :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks absolutely delicious! Want to try it ASAP!
    Chrissy @ Everyday with the Jays

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks super good! I will have to try that sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is what brought me here Whitney. This is.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave a comment we read each and every one!