Thursday, February 16, 2012

Crockpot Chicken Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches

Lately I have been using my crockpot a lot. It just makes life a little bit easier some days. So I have been experimenting with new recipes. There are so many great blogs with amazing slow cooker recipes. The thing I love about cooking with a crockpot is that usually you can just literally throw everything in there, turn it on and walk away from it for hours! This last week I have tried a few new Indian recipes in the crock pot... amazing. While I was searching for recipes I came across a recipe for Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches. It sounded good and something different than the usual. The only thing was.... I didn't have steak. And, in general, I am not a huge red meat fan so I usually like to switch it out for chicken. The thing about recipes is that I see them more as a place to build off of rather than a set of exact guidelines you have to follow. So I took that recipe and kind of made it my own.  For the sandwich I bought some delicious bread from our local bakery at Smith's and chose a Pepperjack cheese to top it off. Can I just say it was unexpectedly amazing? I used chicken thighs and by the time it was done cooking it shredded so easily and it was super moist. Very unexpected. My Mr. said we should add it to our list of "usuals". I definitely will because you can't go wrong with easy and yummy.




This was such a great way to change it up a little during the weeknight. I will definitely be making this again.

XOXO,
Whitney

Here is the recipe:

1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs, mine were frozen solid!
1/4 C Cooking white wine
1/4 C Worcerstershire sauce
Fresh Ground Black Pepper approx 1 tsp.... or to taste
Salt to taste - I would wait until the end to add the salt. You may not need it at all.
2 Red Peppers, sliced
1/3 C onion, chopped

Bread/Hoagie
Cheese- I used Pepperjack

Throw all of the ingredients into the slow cooker.
Cook on high for 3-5 hrs or low for 4-6 hrs (This all depends on how hot your crockpot gets, mine gets pretty hot!)

After the chicken is done cooking take 2 forks and shred it. It should fall apart pretty easily. Take your bun/hoagie, butter it and toast it on an electric griddle. Melt the cheese onto the bread, add the chicken and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Making this for a group gathering tonight over here in Italia - looks perfect thanks so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave a comment we read each and every one!