Tuesday, June 12, 2012

DIY Canvas Photo Wall Art

A few weeks ago I was working on adding a few home decor items to my house. I bought some really cute couch toss pillows and curtains for my living room. Next I wanted to find something to put on the wall above my couch. I searched and searched for some ideas and just couldn't make a decision. Then I asked my friend Katie {who is amazing/creative/designer/good at everything} and she suggested that I do canvas photos on my wall. I started looking into places where I could order such prints and couldn't believe the prices. I wanted three 24x32 canvas photos and that was not going to be cheap by any means. Surprisingly the cheapest place I found to do it was Costco (even cheaper than Walmart!). But I still wasn't willing to pay almost $300 for that. So of course I started googling and pinteresting ways to DIY (do it yourself) my own Canvas photos. I found a few tutorials and decided to go with this one.

Linked this post up to Sugar&Dots for What I Whipped Up Wednesday. (I know, its only Tuesday!)
Here are the supplies I used:
2 16 oz bottles of Mod Podge (matte)
3- 24x32 canvas @ $16ea (after coupon) From Hobby Lobby. I went back 3 separate times so that I was able to use a 40% off coupon. This saved me ALOT. And it was worth it since Hobby Lobby is just down the street.
3- 24x32 poster prints. I had a hard time trying to find somewhere that printed this size at a decent price. I got mine at costco for only $7/$8ea. However, you have to go in the store to get this size, they do not offer it online. They were worried about my photos turning out blurry but they didn't, they turned out gorgeous!
Scrapbook paper
Foam brushes
Wax paper






I really like the tutorial that I used however, if I were to do it again I would do it a little differently. Rather than putting my scrapbook paper on the sides and then painting, I would paint the sides first and then lay the scrapbook down. Or just not use scrapbook paper for the sides at all. Overall, I am pretty happy with how mine turned out and I have had many compliments on them. I only paid about 1/3 of the cost to make my own which was totally worth it for my sanity and my pocket book.



XOXO,
Whitney

4 comments:

  1. nice! thx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also learned creating a canvass photo through a tutorial, but as time went by, I developed my own ideas for my work to be unique from others. I love it because I can add my own personal touch to my work and I receive a lot of praise from others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the three piece wall collage! Have you tried printing your Photos to Canvas across multiple panels - so one photo on three canvases?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool. Nice portrait too. I think I will try this too.

    Wholesale Canvas Prints

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave a comment we read each and every one!