Tuesday, May 1, 2012

deLITEful Garden Vegetable Frittata

Have I mentioned before how much I love The Food Network? Ha ha. I know, I swear I mention it almost every time I post. It's probably getting old but I guess when you love something you just can't stop talking about it. Anyways, I love watching and getting new ideas for recipes. The best part about trying out new recipes is when they are successful. Usually every Sunday I visit my family or my in-laws and enjoy Sunday dinner with them. This last Sunday my Mr. was going to do some work from home so we decided to stay in. That meant I was in charge of making Sunday dinner. Growing up I've always known Sunday dinner to be special and different from the rest of the meals all week long. If you can only imagine growing up with a chef as a dad and having an amazing Sunday dinner each week, it's as amazing as you would hope. So I was a little nervous to make Sunday dinner even though it was only for a little family of 3. I wanted it to be something different but I also didn't really plan on making dinner for that particular Sunday so I didn't feel super prepared. A few days before I was watching Kelsey's Essentials on the Cooking Channel and the episode was all about eggs. She made a Frittata that looked to die for and coincidentally I happened to have all the ingredients in my pantry so I decided to go for it and make that for our Sunday dinner. I have never made a Frittata because I was always a little intimidated by them but it was quite simple. The only real "work" you have to do is chopping and preparing the veggies. You want to make sure you slice your potatoes super thin. If you have a mandolin slicer I would definitely use it for the potatoes. (I need one of those!) Then after cooking the veggies a little you pour in your eggs and cheese and finish cooking it in the oven.

And... VOILA




Since it was a meatless dish I was worried my hubby wouldn't care for it. He loved it. He said it would be even more amazing if it had pancetta or bacon in it. (Sorry, never going to happen because I HATE bacon/pork/anything that comes from a pig) And I was in heaven. It was fresh, light and full of flavor.  I will most definitely be making this again. And if my Mr. is lucky maybe I will make him some with pancetta...ok probably not.

XOXO.
Whitney

Garden Vegetable Frittata
Recipe Courtesy of Kelsey Nixon; Cooking Channel

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 5 small red potatoes, thinly sliced
  • 1 bunch green onions, trimmed and sliced
  • 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced
  • 1 cup baby spinach, torn
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 8 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
  • 1 to 2 cups shredded Asiago cheese, plus more for garnish
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced potatoes to the skillet, saute for about 6 to 8 minutes, until tender but firm. Remove the potatoes from the skillet. Add another tablespoon olive oil, and add the green onions, tomatoes, spinach, and garlic. Saute for an additional 1 to 2 minutes or just until the spinach is wilted. Season the vegetables with salt, and pepper.

In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, basil, cheese, salt, and pepper. Pour into the skillet over the vegetables. Reduce heat to medium-low and scramble the eggs for 1 minute. Return the potatoes to the skillet. Cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or just until the eggs start to set around the edges. Drizzle olive oil around the edge of the pan to ensure easy removal.

Finish cooking in the oven for an additional 10 to 12 minutes, until the eggs have completely set in the center. Serve straight out of the skillet, or flip onto a serving plate. Garnish with shredded Asiago cheese and fresh basil.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave a comment we read each and every one!