Tuesday, May 22, 2012

26.2

I cannot believe that my marathon has already come and gone. I registered for it back in November and had 6 months to prepare which felt like a lifetime. I was already running quite a bit before but I followed an 18 week training schedule to help keep me on track. All last week I was nervous as can be. I tried to keep myself busy by running errands, working on a bunch of DIY projects, and baking! When Friday (Marathon Eve) came, I could not distract myself. I could hardly eat lunch and had to force myself to eat dinner because I knew I needed the carbs and protein. The marathon was up in Ogden, UT. I live about an hour and a half a way and there was NO way I was wanting to get up that early and drive that far. Conveniently my Aunt who lives about 15-20 minutes away was also running the marathon with me and she lovingly let me stay the night at her house. (I blame her for making me sign up in the first place!!) I was worried about not being able to sleep because let's be honest I NEVER sleep before races, even when I do half marathons that I feel comfortable doing. My nerves and anxiety just keep me up all night. Luckily I took a 1/2 of a sleepy pill {best decision ever} so that I was able to get some sleep. We woke up at 4am, got ready and headed up to the buses. We stood in line waiting to load the buses and nervously made friends with two older men/seasoned runners. I think the worst part was waiting. I just wanted to start already and get it over with. Once we got up to the top of the canyon the sun was already starting to rise. It was absolutely gorgeous. I was so glad to get going. I absolutely thought that the first 13.1 was going to be a breeze. It wasn't. My knee starting bothering me around mile 3 which was so odd because I never have problems with my knee but I just had to push through the pain. At miles 14-16 there was a pretty good uphill section that was killer. Just when you are really starting to get tired you have to run uphill!! The rest was pretty much downhill, which you think is going to be easy but it really isn't. You have to control yourself and you are using different muscles. At mile 19 I was ready to be done, I tried to occupy myself with the beautiful scenery but my tired legs were screaming at me. Then mile 22 came and I started seeing more and more spectators. Every time I saw some spectators it would give me a little boost to keep going. I also might have teared up a little when I saw people cheering me on. I knew the end was near and people rooting for me was just what I needed. I saw my Uncle at mile 25, he encouraged me to keep going and I got another push to keep going. JUST KEEP RUNNING!!! When I started coming down the main street in Ogden I knew I only had about 1/2 mile to go and I could see the finish line. Just as I was about to cross the finish line I saw my amazing family cheering me on, holding up posters. It honestly means so much to me to have had that support. I am not sure they understand how much I needed that. While I was running I had to keep telling myself I could do it and was fighting the voice in my head that was telling me "You cant't do it, Just quit, this is TOO hard." To see my family there supporting my craziness really meant the world to me. Once I finished I walked through the runners station then found a shady tree and practically fell down onto the ground to rest and wait for my family to come find me. I SWORE up and down that I would NEVER EVER EVER do a full marathon again. My stomach was killing me and my legs were so tired. WHY would I ever want to put myself through that misery again? I have heard everyone says that after they finish their first marathon. It really was the hardest thing I have ever done and now I know that I CAN DO HARD THINGS. I am so glad it's over and for now I will just stick to my half marathons. It was a great experience overall. You really learn alot about yourself, how to persevere and just keep going.


My cute little cheerleaders


The Finish Line

Just about to cross the finish line


 26.2. DONE&DONE. Thanks for the poster Nicole! Ha ha.


XOXO,
Whitney

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave a comment we read each and every one!