Sunday, November 11, 2012

Bloggers GNO - Elegant Buttercream Cake Class

Two weeks ago I signed Nicole and I up for a Blogger's night out Cake Decorating Class. I didn't even ask Nicole if she wanted to come before I signed us up, she was coming with me whether she liked it or not. Luckily this was something we both really wanted to do. Part of our summer list of things to do was to attend a cake decorating class. Well, summer got busy and slipped away and we never got the opportunity to cross it off of our list. So when this event came up I knew I just had to seize the moment. Plus, it was hosted by Ashlee from Topsy Turvy. I seriously love her blog, this woman is so talented and creative. The event was held in the kitchen of Orson Gygi. (A local Kitchen supply store that has any/everything you need) This kitchen was seriously my dream kitchen. It was absolutely gorgeous, clean, granite everywhere, huge, BEAUTIFUL. Ok you get the idea. The class was an Elegant Buttercream class where we learned many different techniques when decorating with buttercream. Ashlee was such a thorough instructor answering all of our questions and not just telling us how to do things but showing us. I really walked away from that class feeling like a cake decorating rockstar. (Let's be honest though, I need lots of practice)  

 Our cakes all ready for us to decorate.

Ashlee teaching us how to frost the cake. So many great tips on how to frost it perfectly!
 
 One of her tips: Always use a turn table

Nicole listening very intently

Teaching us different rosette techniques

This could get sketchy...

Practicing what I just learned


We were able to either practice on our cake or on the counter. I decided to practice on the counter top and just do one technique on my cake. One of my favorites was the dots cake. I want to make a Dot Ombre cake like the one Ashlee made here.



I had so much fun learning all the different techniques. The next class I would absolutely love to take is Ashlee's fondant class. Ashlee is a new instructor at Orson Gygi and is teaching day time classes. Which I think is a brilliant idea. Perfect for moms to take while the kids are away at school!

Also, Check out this awesome coupon! This coupon is good for the rest of the year. Perfect if you need to order some items for the holidays.

orson-gygis-discount-coupon-code

Thanks for an amazing Blogger's Night out!

14 comments:

  1. That sounds so fun! I'm awful at decorating cakes, I need to attend a class sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great post, by the way!

      Mainlymeghan.Blogspot.Com

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures! You girls look gorgeous and I love the pink frosting in the last photo! Sounds like a lot of fun :)

    x Ellie @ Ellalogy 

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two are seriously gorgeous. Looks like it turned out well...I could never do something like that, it would bore me to tears and I'd probably screw it up anyway, since I am hopeless in the kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Tami; you both look gorg. And this class looks like sooo much fun! I want to take a soap/body wash making class from this lady that just opened up her own homemade bath & beauty product store in my town. I'll be reviewing some of her products next post, but the process sounds SO fun! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much fun! Decorating cakes has always been a talent I wish I had, I am going to need to sign myself up for a class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cake decorating is so fun, I wish I were better at it! The dots cake is super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like so much fun! I should have taken one of these before i attempted Lainey's cake ha ha:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! Looks so fun! Over from Mom's Monday Mingle and now following :) Excited to read more of your cute blog! Hope you'll be able to stop by. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did I miss this!? I have been DYING to take a cake decorating class. Next time you two do something fun like this you need to tell me. I will 100% be down for driving up there. Plus. I would l.o.v.e. to meet you.

    Love, The Skinnys

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a blast! I have to figure out where to take a class like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post. I took a cake decorating class after I went to baking school. (Besides being a high school social studies teacher turned sahm, I have my own bakery.) You guys did a great job. Decorating is so much fun!

    xo

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave a comment we read each and every one!