Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pumpkin Waffles with Brown Sugar Syrup

It is Sunday. Sunday has always been a special day to me because it is a day so different from the rest of the days of the week. For me, Sunday is a day of worship, a day of rest, a day with the family, and also a day of delicious food. Growing up my Dad would always make Sunday special with our Sunday dinners and I looked forward to them all week long. He not only made Sunday dinner special but he started out the day with a special Sunday breakfast. I would often wake up on Sunday to the smell of hot pancakes. As I have mentioned before, my dad is a professional chef so his pancakes aren't your usual pancakes. They are unique, delicious and out of this world. When I got married I wanted to carry on the tradition of making a special breakfast each Sunday for my family. The last few months my Mr. has had to work on Sundays so I have been slacking and just fixing the regular cereal or oatmeal for my baby and I.  Well, I was thinking that I wanted to do something special and then I thought of  my post about Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies. That was the first time this season I had done anything with pumpkin. Since then my mind has been going crazy with all of the pumpkin recipes I want to make before the Holiday season is over. Today brought on the perfect chance for me to put my cravings in action! I decided I could make a Sunday breakfast and incorporate pumpkin in it some how and to me the perfect way was to make:
Pumpkin Waffles with Brown Sugar Syrup

Yep. They are just as delicious as they sound. And the syrup? A perfect compliment to the pumpkin. Here is how I did it:

First I combined all the dry ingredients:


Then I combined all the wet ingredients:
 I combined the dry & wet ingredients. Then I whipped up my egg whites and folded them into the mixture:
 I poured the waffle mixture into my hot waffle iron and let them cook for about 5 min. (While these cooked  I started making my syrup) Removed them from the waffle iron:
 Then, I drizzled them with the brown sugar syrup:
 Then, I stuffed my face!!


These waffles were even better than I expected them to be. So crispy, light, and full of flavor. The cinnamon and nutmeg really compliment the pumpkin and the brown sugar syrup?? Totally made me want to lick my plate. I think I will make this recipe a tradition each Holiday season. Plus, what a great way to start off my Sunday!! Hope you all have a relaxing Sunday.

XOXO,
Whitney

Here's the recipe:


Pumpkin Waffles with Brown Sugar Syrup



Pumpkin Waffles
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 large eggs, separated
1 cups milk
1/2 cup canned  pumpkin
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder and soda, salt, and spices. Whisk egg yolks in a large bowl with buttermilk, pumpkin, and butter until smooth. Whisk in dry ingredients just until combined.
In a mixing bowl with a whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Fold them  into the waffle batter, until just combined. Do not overmix.
Spray waffle iron with cooking spray and pour batter (about 1 cup for 2 waffles, 1/2 C per waffle) Cook approximately 4-5 minutes.

Yield: Approximately 6 waffles or 3 1/2 C of waffle batter.

Drizzle with Brown Sugar Syrup. (I am sure maple syrup would taste just fine with these.)

Brown Sugar Syrup:
Adapted from several different recipes

Ingredients:
2 T butter
3/4 C brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup water

Directions:
Put brown sugar and butter in a sauce pan.
Melt together.
Add vanilla and water. 
Heat on meduim/high heat until it boils.
Turn down a touch and boil for 4 minutes.
**Note- You may want to double this recipe!**



0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave a comment we read each and every one!