Thursday, January 26, 2012

White Chocolate Strawberry Ice Cream

So I have been trying to make a new ice cream each week. So far I have made Dark Chocolate & Butterfinger which were both delicious. One day my Mr. ate the butterfinger ice cream for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Healthy, I know. This last week I was trying to come up with a new flavor that was decadent and different. I had in my refrigerator 1 lb of strawberries and somehow wanted to incorporate that into my next ice cream flavor, but I didn't want just regular old strawberry ice cream. Then I remembered that I had a bag of white chocolate chips in my pantry. I immediately though of how I loved White Chocolate dipped Strawberries and thought combining this idea with ice cream  would be stellar. So I googled it just to see if anyone else had done this and sure enough I found this recipe from Gimme Some Oven. I read it and knew that was my flavor of the week! I did change it up a little bit.

Here is the recipe that I used and I changed it up a little:
White Chocolate Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe(Adapted from Gimme Some Oven)
Ingredients:
  • 8 oz white chocolate, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 cup low fat milk
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 5 large egg yolks
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 cup half & half
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 cup strawberries, finely diced
  • 3 oz white chocolate chips (add at the end)
Method:
Put the chocolate pieces in a large bowl and and set a mesh strainer over the top.
Warm the milk, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan. In a separate medium bowl whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer over the white chocolate. Stir until white chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth, then stir in the cream, half and half, and vanilla. Stir until cool over an ice bath.
Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Add the strawberries and remaining white choc chips about 5 minutes before the ice cream maker’s cycle is completed.

************************************************************************************
The Ice cream turned out DELICIOUS. So decadent and reminded me of a white chocolate  dipped strawberry. And look how cute it is! I think it would make a perfect Valentine's Day Dessert:




XOXO,
Whitney

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave a comment we read each and every one!