Tuesday, January 31, 2012

"Homemade" Chicken noodle soup

I love making dinner when it is simple but delicious. And sometimes I like making everything from scratch and other days I just want to take shortcuts! Sometimes those shortcuts work and sometime they don't. Tonight, I took some short cuts and made a delicious semi "homemade" chicken noodle soup. It tastes like I spent hours and hours making it but it really only took me a matter of minutes. Using a rotisserie chicken and some of my very own frozen carrots from my garden make this a cinch! Plus the best part? I had to Costco for a free Rotisserie chicken! So not only was my meal delicious  but it was cheap! Really the hardest part of this soup was chopping up the celery and the chicken, which doesn't really count as hard work because it only takes seconds to do.

Chop your celery. PHew... that was hard!
 Melt butter and EVOO
 Saute veggies
 Cut or shred your chicken

 Drain cooked pasta
 Add chicken broth to veggies and simmer
 Add chicken and pasta
 ENJOY

 OOOH yum. Take a big bite!!



Oooh. I love it when dinner turns out to be easy and delicious. My baby girl even loves it and she is one picky eater. This recipe makes a ton of soup but I love all the leftovers because this is one thing my baby girl will eat over and over, and I am going to take advantage of that!

XOXO,
Whitney

Here is the recipe:

“Homemade” Chicken Noodle Soup

1 Rotisserie Chicken; shredded or chopped into bite size pieces

14 oz Fusilli Pasta

6 C Chicken Broth

2 C Carrots; chopped

1 C celery; chopped

Olive oil

2 T butter

Salt & Pepper to taste

1 ½ tsp Onion Powder

1 ½ tsp Garlic Powder

2 tsp Dried Thyme

1 T cornstarch combined with 1 T water

Warm butter and olive oil together in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add carrots and celery and sauté until tender. Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and dried thyme.

Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile in a separate pot, cook fusilli pasta until al dente, according to product instructions. Chop or shred rotisserie chicken. Add cooked pasta and chicken to chicken broth mixture.  Let simmer for 5-10 minutes.  

In a small bowl combine cornstarch and water and stir until cornstarch is dissolved. Add to chicken soup and let simmer for another 5-10 minutes.  Test taste and adjust seasonings as needed.

Enjoy! This is delicious with sourdough bread or my fabulous French bread.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave a comment we read each and every one!